Why Do Gums Recede?
There are a number of reasons why gum recession could present itself, including:
- Overzealous tooth brushing with hard toothbrush bristles..
- An inherited predisposition for thin gum tissue
- Malpositioned teeth, which leads to the spreading or crowding of teeth.
- Clenching and grinding of teeth, which some dentists believe causes recession.
- Nervous habits like inserting foreign objects in the mouth or scratching the gums with foreign objects.
How Can Gum Recession be treated?
First we will need to diagnose the reason for your receding gums before recommending the most suitable treatment. It may be relatively easy to fix if the problem is due to brushing your teeth too hard. Our hygienist can work with you to show you the best toothbrush to use and the correct techniques for brushing without damaging your gums.
If your gum recession is due to clenching and grinding then we will test for sleep apnoea and suggest either having a custom-made mouthguard or a mandibular advancement splint. This prevents the teeth from contacting and will prevent any further damage to your teeth and your gums. Problems with your bite or with overcrowding can be corrected using the very latest orthodontics and Dr Khaled is a certified Invisalign provider.
For appointments, call us on (07) 4191 4787. Lakeside Dental Spa is located at 8/6-8 Liuzzi St, Pialba Hervey Bay QLD 4655.